YouTube careers present futuristic job opportunities

I grew up during an incredibly interesting time in technological history. My childhood lacked the concept of the Internet, while today's children are fully immersed in Internet culture. I remember first beginning to integrate the Internet into my life during middle school, where I spent some of my limited "computer time" watching YouTube videos or reading articles online. Back then, YouTube was a side note to my Internet experience, and it is mind-blowing to me how I watched YouTube transform before my eyes from an entertaining activity to a platform for creating a brand and spreading information - one which can even foster successful careers.

As we witness through this technological transformation the shifting of values from formality to transparency, I view YouTube as an exciting opportunity for the future of journalism. I am optimistic for the success of YouTube in assisting with the spread of information through transparency and the integration of entertainment and education.

Several examples of successful YouTube artists have stuck out to me over the years for majorly contributing to my intake of information throughout my high school years. During this time in my life, I was extremely pressed for time but still wanted to stay informed. I relied on YouTube for much of my news and information, and even for help learning my school material.

John Green, young adult novelist and author of bestselling The Fault in Our Stars, began the YouTube channel Vlogbrothers with his brother Hank when I was in middle school. The channel was a wonderful resource to me when I was young and had a short attention span - I could learn about topics ranging from philosophy to entertaining food videos to international relations.

YouTube has brought so much knowledge within reach of everyone with an Internet connection. I have hopes that it will continue to expand in the future so we can continue towards our goals of equality, transparency, and fairness in journalism.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transparency vs. objectivity: it doesn't have to be a battle

Indies face unique challenges, especially during startup

Colorlines fills in missing pieces of master narrative